So after a year of being busy, I finally got around to putting together the electronics and testing out my circuit. Everything worked first go, though I had to remember a few things about the design when getting the software running against it.
One important change to the design so far, is that we are no longer building a Raspberry Pi Power Board, but instead an Arduino Power Board.
One thing I discovered during testing was that the 5V delivered by the 10W iPhone charger was still low-power. Apparently I need to hook some resistors through to the data lines to instruct the iPhone charger to run in high-power mode if I want to drive more than 2 of my relays.
Here’s a video of a single module of the board running off the Arduino
In the demo, you can see me disconnect the Arduino from power, indicating the circuitry is completely self-sufficient, and the Arduino is able to recover state accurately at any time, regardless of power outages.
Next steps are to update the Arduino software to run off ethernet instead of the Game-controller break-out board, and to expand it to multiple modules.